Skip to Content
Free Consultation

My License Has Been Revoked in Another State - Can I Get One in Colorado?

person driving in car

One common misconception people have regarding driving-related crimes is that if they've had their license suspended, all they have to do is move to another state to regain their driving privileges. Unfortunately, this couldn't be further from the truth.

When you lose your license, this information is shared with most of the other states in the country under the Interstate Driver License Compact (DLC), an agreement that requires states to exchange driver's license suspensions and traffic violations. This means that no matter where you go, you will most likely be denied a driver's license.

If you relocate to the state of Colorado following a license suspension or revocation and you are denied a driver's license, you can request a hearing with the Hearings Division. At this hearing, Colorado law will be applied to your existing driving record.

"You will need to show to the Hearing Officer that you are a resident of the State of Colorado, at least one year has passed since the suspension from the other state and you have not driven since the date of the revocation or suspension," explains the Colorado Department of Revenue's Division of Motor Vehicles. "If you have any traffic convictions, you will be required to wait one year from the date of offense prior to being considered for a license."

Additionally, the Hearing Officer can use his or her discretion to determine whether it is safe to have you on the road.

Here at The Orr Law Firm, our attorneys in Denver have years of experience helping clients who have been accused of driving-related offenses. If you have any questions or would like to hire us to represent you in court, we're here to help you every step of the way.