Colorado DUI Lawyer
Our Colorado Firm Focuses Specifically on Drunk Driving Defense - (303) 747-4247
Being arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) can be a frightening experience, especially if you’ve never been in trouble with the law before. A knowledgeable Colorado DUI lawyer from The Orr Law Firm can explain the legal implications of your arrest and develop an effective plan for dealing with the charges against you. Our DUI attorneys in Denver serve clients throughout Colorado, contact us today!
You May Only Have 7 Days To Defend Your Driving Privileges - Act Now!
Colorado DUI Laws
Motorists caught driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) above .08 percent will be charged with a DUI in the state of Colorado.
DUI Penalties in Colorado
You will face the following penalties if convicted of a DUI:
- Incarceration: A first-time DUI conviction may involve jail time between five days and one year. Judges usually hand down more jail time if the offender has a high or aggravated BAC, was involved in an accident or after second and subsequent offenses.
- Large fines: The fine is between $600 and $1,000 for a first-offense DUI. These fines increase to up to $1,500 for subsequent convictions. This does not include the cost of prosecution, as well as, all the out-of-pocket costs associated with probation, monitored sobriety and alcohol classes.
- License suspension: A first-offense DUI conviction may result in a one-year administrative driver’s license revocation in Colorado, potentially leaving you unable to travel to work or school. If it is your second or third offense, you could lose your license for between one and five years — a substantial amount of time to go without driving privileges.
- Mandatory IIDs: Even on a first offense, you may have to install an ignition interlock device (IID), which comes at your own expense and requires you to pass a BAC test before you can start the car and periodically while driving. Upon subsequent convictions, IID installation is typically mandatory and for longer periods of time.
Other Types of DUI Related Offenses
In addition to DUI, the following other types of alcohol and controlled substance-related traffic offenses are regulated by state law and prosecuted similarly:
According to Colorado state law, driving while ability impaired (DWAI) occurs when you operate a vehicle after consuming alcohol or drugs -- or a combination of both.
These substances must result in you being unable to the exercise clear judgment mentally or physically, thereby impairing your ability to drive safely to the slightest degree.
Even if your BAC is below the legal limit, you may still face DWAI charges. Any BAC above .05 but below the .08 threshold will result in a DWAI charge in Colorado.
Driving under the influence of drugs (DUID) has become a particular focus of law enforcement since 2012, when Colorado voters approved the legalization of recreational marijuana.
But the type of drug doesn’t matter when it comes to DUID — if law enforcement officers deem that you’re impaired, you will be arrested and charged accordingly.
You will be required to submit to a blood test and failure to comply will result in you being charged with a Refusal and potentially losing your license for a minimum of one year.
Underage drunk driving (UDD) involves anyone under the age of 21 operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
In accordance with the law, offenders who are not of the legal drinking age and have BACs that measure above .02 percent — the equivalent of less than one drink for many people — face charges and penalties if convicted.
Benefits of Hiring a DUI Law Firm
Hiring a DUI law firm can be beneficial for those looking to navigate the complexities of DUI laws. With their specialized knowledge and experience, DUI defense attorneys can help you understand your rights and the potential consequences of your case.
A DUI law firm can investigate all aspects of your case, evaluate evidence, build an effective defense strategy, and provide legal advice that is tailored to your specific circumstances. Additionally, they will handle all court appearances on your behalf and negotiate with prosecutors if appropriate in order to achieve the best possible outcome.
DUI attorneys can help reduce the impact of a DUI charge on your future by negotiating alternate sentences or helping you enroll in rehabilitation programs if necessary. This may include an alcohol education class, driver improvement courses, or even community service. By taking these steps with the assistance of a professional, you have a greater chance of avoiding severe penalties such as jail time or high fines from the court system.
How The Orr Law Firm Can Help
With the potential penalties in mind, you can understand why it's critically important to work with a trustworthy DUI lawyer to fight the charges against you.
At The Orr Law Firm our Colorado DUI lawyers have the skill and experience you need to ensure you receive the best possible outcome given the facts of your case.
We use effective defense strategies to:
- Minimize jail time
void hefty fines
- And preserve your driving privileges
Experienced and well-trained, we keep you informed at every step in your case and help you explore all of your legal options. Call us today at (303) 747-4247 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
“Rhidian and his team saved my career and helped me tremendously during a dismal time.”- Google Reviewer; DUI CHARGE
“The attorneys at The Orr Law Firm had my best interest in mind and walked me through the entire process.”- Google Reviewer; DUI CHARGE
“Not only did they fight to keep my driver's license, but they also got me a really good outcome on the criminal case as well.”- Google Reviewer; JEFFERSON COUNTY DUI
Consult Our Skilled Denver DUI Attorneys Right Away
Would you like further guidance on drunk driving defense in Colorado? Call The Orr Law Firm today at (303) 747-4247 or contact us online to set up a free initial phone consultation. Our trusted lawyers represent clients located in Denver and throughout Colorado.