Skip to Content
Free Consultation
Top-Rated Denver DUI & Criminal Defense Lawyers Defense & Guidance Backed by Results

SR-22 Insurance in Colorado

Colorado SR-22 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Any Colorado resident who has had their driver's license revoked for driving under the influence is required by the Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to obtain "Proof of Insurance" prior to reinstatement of their driving privileges. This form of insurance, known as an SR-22, requires the insurance carrier to report any lapse in insurance coverage to the Colorado Motor Vehicle Division. The SR-22 must be maintained for a period equal to the duration of the revocation or longer if a person reinstates early or was involved in an accident.

What is an SR-22?

An SR-22 isn’t a type of insurance, but rather proof that you have insurance. An SR-22 is a certificate mandated by the state to verify that an individual is maintaining auto insurance liability coverage after a driver’s license has been suspended or revoked. It is a special documentation that proves you have insurance and financial responsibility.

The insurance company advises the DMV that it will not cancel the insurance for a certain period of time (usually three years) unless the insured fails to pay the premium. The insurance company assures the DMV it will give notice to the DMV of cancellation in the event of premium non-payment.

How do I know if I need SR-22?

SR-22s are required for license suspensions or revocations.

This can include:

  • DUIs
  • Driving without insurance
  • Repeat traffic offenses, etc.

Please contact your local DMV to find out if you need an SR-22 certificate.

How long do I carry SR-22?

You will be required to carry SR-22 for a specific period of time, generally up to three years. Your SR-22 will expire once you have properly fulfilled that period of time. If you allow your policy to lapse or you cancel it, your auto insurance company is required to notify the state immediately and your license will be revoked or suspended again.

What happens if I move to another state?

SR-22s are state specific. You must always meet the requirements of the SR-22 set by the state where the offense was committed. For example, if you currently carry an SR-22 and move to a state that that does not require an SR-22, you still must properly fulfill the requirements of the SR-22 in the state it was originally issued in.

Additionally, your new insurance policy must have liability limits which meet the minimums required by law in your former state. Oftentimes SR-22 insurance can by bypassed if you establish residency outside of Colorado. You must fill out the Out of State Residency Affidavit to bypass the SR-22 insurance requirement in Colorado and then apply for a license in the state in which you now live.

If I don’t own a vehicle but my license was suspended/revoked and I am now eligible to get my license back, do I still need an SR-22?

If you do not own a vehicle, but want to keep your driver’s license, then yes, you still need to purchase SR-22; the SR-22 can be included on a non-owner’s policy. This will keep you insured when you are driving someone else’s vehicle.

How do I obtain SR-22?

You should contact your insurance provider to obtain an SR-22. If your insurance provider does not offer SR-22 or is going to cancel your coverage because of this requirement, you can contact Sarah or Dane Hamilton at HL Insurance Group at (720) 343-7459, as they offer SR-22 and all of your other insurance needs at competitive rates.

How much will SR-22 cost?

An SR-22 is not that expensive. You should contact your insurance company and several other insurance companies to obtain a quote. SR-22 is relatively inexpensive; however, SR-22 is a red flag to your insurance provider that you have problems with your driving history and are now a high risk loss.

Requesting and obtaining SR-22 lets your insurance company know something is going on with your driving history and encourages the insurance company to investigate further into why you are being required to have an SR-22. This investigation oftentimes leads to your insurance company finding out about your DUI or other traffic issues. This information is what causes the insurance company to dramatically raise your rates as they now classify you as high risk.

Have more questions? Call (303) 747-4247 to speak with a Denver traffic offense lawyer at The Orr Law Firm.

What Sets Us Apart From The Rest?

Orr Law Firm is here to help you get the results you need with a team you can trust.

  • Offer Free Consultations and Payment Plans
  • Proven Record of Dismissals, Reductions, and Acquittals
  • Highly-Qualified Defenders Who Know How to Fight for Results
  • Award-Winning Advocacy from Top Trial Lawyers in the Nation