Theft Crime Attorneys in Denver, CO
When You’ve Been Accused, Call (720) 619-2676 for a Free Consultation
Theft crimes are surprisingly common in Colorado and range from minor misdemeanor infractions to major felonies. Taking any property or money without express permission, even if you were merely borrowing it, can be construed as theft by the alleged victim. This includes instances of mistaken identity, false accusations, and minor mistakes, among others.
It is the prosecution’s job to prove that you intended to permanently deprive the owner of their property, knowingly stole or concealed it, or demanded payment or ransom for the return of the stolen goods. It is vital that you face these charges with the help of a meticulous Denver criminal defense lawyer from The Orr Law Firm.
Call us today at (720) 619-2676 to discuss your case.
Charges & Penalties
In addition to shoplifting, auto theft, and other common charges, the state of Colorado also recognizes specific crimes, including theft of rented property, trade secrets, medical or sensitive record, fuel piracy, and more.
- Theft crimes are classified in levels. These determine the common punishments for convictions and include:
- Class 2 Misdemeanors (aka “petty theft”) of property valued at less than $500. Punishment includes a minimum of three months in jail and $250 in fines, and a maximum 12 month sentence and $1,000 fine.
- Class 1 Misdemeanors for property over $500 and under $1,000, 6 to 18 months in jail and $500 to $5,000 in fines.
- Class 5 Felonies when property is taken without force, carrying a sentence of 1 to 3 years in prison and at least 2 years of parole.
- Class 4 Felonies for property valued at $1,000 or more but less than $20,000. A conviction can lead to a 2 to 6 year imprisonment, with 3 years parole and a fine of $2,000 to $500,000.
- Class 3 Felonies for property $20,000. This comes with a maximum of 12 years imprisonment, at least 5 years of parole, and a fine of $3,000 to $750,000.
Don’t face these serious penalties on your own. Trust our Denver criminal defense attorneys at The Orr Law Firm with your future and your freedom. Call us at (720) 619-2676 for a free phone consultation.