About the Orr Law Firm
Colorado's Premier DUI & Criminal Defense Firm
Focusing extensively on DUI and criminal traffic defense, Orr Law Firm is regarded as one of Colorado's premier defense firms. Attorney Rhidian Orr, senior partner and owner of the Orr Law Firm, believes that DUI defense is so complex that firms must specialize in this area of law in order to provide clients with the knowledgeable defense they deserve. This is why attorneys at our firm go through extensive training and certifications to ensure they are up-to-date on all cutting-edge defense strategies and evidentiary principles as they relate to DUI defense.
Are you ready to discuss your case with an attorney at Orr Law Firm? Give us a call today at (303) 747-4247 to get started. Your initial consultation is FREE.
Members of our team have also earned the following distinctions:
- The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- The National Trial Lawyers - Top 40 Under 40
- AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Colorado Super Lawyers® list
Before you hire a Denver DUI attorney or decide to plead guilty, call the Orr Law Firm for a free consultation at (303) 747-4247 or contact us online.
There is no simple answer to finding the right DUI attorney; however, here are some of the things you should consider and ask all attorneys with whom you speak before making this important decision:
- Area of Focus - Does the attorney or firm focus exclusively on DUI defense or criminal traffic cases? If the attorney does not specialize in DUI defense, or takes cases outside of this specific area, you should ask yourself whether or not they have the knowledge, training, and skills to properly defend your case. You don't take your car to a guy who does a little mechanical work, a little plumbing, and a little electrical work; you take it to a mechanic. Hire a DUI attorney for your DUI case.
- Training - How much advanced/specialized training does the attorney have? If the attorney does not regularly attend DUI training conferences and seminars, then they do not take DUI defense seriously. DUI laws, scientific principles and methods used to arrest and prosecute DUI offenders are constantly changing. A top defense lawyer will be aware of these changes. Your attorney should be trained in Standardized Field Sobriety Tests and operation of the Intoxilyzer 9000 at minimum.
- Staff - A top DUI defense firm will have the appropriate amount of staff available to assist attorneys and clients. If the attorney does not have qualified and competent associates, paralegals and other staff members to assist in your defense, consider whether or not the attorney has the time or resources needed to effectively represent you. A competent staff of DUI personnel is worth their weight in gold and can help eliminate some of the communication issues discussed above.
- Ethics - Beware of attorneys who tell you it is OK to lie or act dishonestly. Unethical attorneys never have good reputations and this will hurt you in the long run. Judges and district attorneys will never forget an attorney who tried to pull a fast one in their courtroom.
- Memberships/Affiliations - Do the attorneys belong to the National College for DUI Defense, DUI Defense Lawyers Association, and other organizations like the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar? If you speak to an attorney who does not belong to these organizations, then they do not take DUI defense seriously enough. You should also check the business ratings of the law firm you are consulting, as their business ratings are often representative of the type of attorney they are.
- Guarantees - Did the attorney make you any promises or guarantees? No ethical attorney will make guarantees or promises as to the result of your case. Any attorney who has experience handling DUI cases in Colorado understands how difficult they are and will often err on the side of caution.
- Disciplinary Actions - Has the attorney ever been disciplined by the Board of Professional Responsibility of the state bar of his/her practice location? You can contact the American Bar Association online to find links to all state bar associations. If they have been disciplined, figure out why. Was it an honest mistake or is there a pattern of incompetence or dishonesty?
- Fees and Fee Structure - A lot of attorneys' fees will only cover part of your defense. You should expect flat fees and no hidden costs. Ensure that the attorney's legal fees include all DMV hearings, preliminary court appearances, and motions hearings. Almost all attorneys will charge a separate fee for trial; however, if the trial fee is more than the fee for the preliminary work, they are not a DUI trial attorney. A lot of criminal defense attorneys will charge an escalated trial fee, as they do not want to go to trial unless the "price is right." Any DUI attorney you hire should be going to trial on a regular basis. Be wary of attorneys who offer "quality representation at a low cost." Attorneys who offer this combination of service are either not qualified or will spend very little time on your case.
- Personal Connection - One of the most important factors to consider when hiring a DUI lawyer is to hire someone with whom you feel comfortable. Once the attorney has met the above requirements, you need to hire the firm or attorney that gives you that "gut feeling." Most DUI cases last four to six months, or longer, so you need to have a rapport with your attorney and trust that they have your best interest in mind. If you don't feel comfortable with an attorney, do not hire them.
- Communication - Does the attorney or their staff return your phone calls and emails in a timely manner? Attorneys who do not respond to you in a courteous or professional time frame prior to you retaining their services is either too busy or does not believe in communicating with clients. The number one complaint against attorneys is failure to communicate with their clients. Attorneys spend a large portion of their time in courtrooms, driving to and from courthouses, and reviewing discovery. An attorney who has staff available to answer your questions during business hours is priceless. Expect a return phone call from all attorneys within two business days or less.
“Rhidian and his team saved my career and helped me tremendously during a dismal time.”- Google Reviewer; DUI CHARGE
“The attorneys at The Orr Law Firm had my best interest in mind and walked me through the entire process.”- Google Reviewer; DUI CHARGE
“Not only did they fight to keep my driver's license, but they also got me a really good outcome on the criminal case as well.”- Google Reviewer; JEFFERSON COUNTY DUI
What Sets Us Apart?
Offer Free Consultations and Payment Plans
Proven Record of Dismissals, Reductions, and Acquittals
Highly-Qualified Defenders Who Know How to Fight for Results
Award-Winning Advocacy from Top Trial Lawyers in the Nation
Contact Us Today