Skip to Content
Free Consultation

How to Secure a Probationary Driver's License When Child Support Problems Arise

person driving car

In today's economy even the best and most well-meaning fathers may have difficulty meeting their child support payments. Whether it's due to an unforeseen job loss, a sudden injury or another unexpected hardship, it's important for noncustodial parents who need to pay child support to understand their legal obligations.

Starting in 1995, the state's Colorado Child Support Enforcement Program gained the authority to suspend the driving privileges of those who are delinquent on their court-ordered payments. All this agency needs to do to initiate this action is contact the DMV to alert them that you are in violation of your court order.

Under the law, you are not able to schedule a hearing on the payment in order to rescind the suspension. However, you may apply for a probationary driver's license, which is valid for 90 days. During this time, you'll be able to drive to and from your job and perform other duties as they relate to your employment.

Despite this ability, you are not able to make recreational trips with this license, according to the state. If you've been making payments and this action was placed against you in error, you are able to contact the DMV in order to reinstate your license, provided that you can demonstrate your compliance with the payment order.

However, as noted on the Colorado Department of Revenue's website, the information should only be used as a reference. Before taking any action, you should first speak with representatives from a law firm in Denver that specializes in dealing with suspended licenses.

At The Orr Law Firm, our attorneys can provide you with assistance whether you are trying to fight a driving under revocation charge or are looking for information on how to proceed if your license has been banned for any reason.