Denver Domestic Violence Lawyer
Let Our Denver Criminal Defense Attorney Protect Your Rights & Future
In Colorado, an accusation or arrest for domestic violence can be a life-altering event. If you were recently charged with this violent crime, you are facing potential jail or prison time, expensive fines, and a permanent mark on your criminal record.
At The Orr Law Firm, we are committed to protecting your rights, reputation, and freedom. With decades of experience, our Denver criminal defense lawyers possess the comprehensive knowledge of state law to help you navigate through the intricacies of the legal system in order to obtain the most favorable results possible.
Penalties for Domestic Violence
Domestic violence is defined as an act or threatened an act of violence against an individual whom the defendant has an intimate relationship with – such as a spouse (current or former), partner, co-habitant, or co-parent. The act is done to coerce, control, intimidate, punish, or seek revenge against that person.
- If an individual commits a crime of domestic violence in Colorado, it is punishable by the following:
- Prison, jail, or probation – Your sentence will depend if the conviction is a misdemeanor or felony, as well as if you have any previous convictions. A misdemeanor may carry up to two years in jail, but it is possible to be eligible for probation, reducing the jail time to 60 days. A felony may be punishable by either one year to life in prison, but a person may be eligible for felony probation, which can reduce the jail time to 90 days
- Domestic violence treatment programs – A person guilty of domestic violence may be sentenced to domestic violence treatment programs, as well as a treatment evaluation which conforms to the standards adopted by the domestic violence offender management board.
- Protection Order – There will be mandatory protection order in place, which can result in being ordered to vacate your home, having limited or no contact with your children, and not being allowed to consume alcohol if you are over the legal age.
- Gun rights revocation – You may be prohibited from purchasing or possessing any guns or ammunition, especially if a protection order is in effect.
Call (720) 619-2676 to Begin Your Defense Today
False accusations in domestic violence cases are quite common. Our Denver criminal defense attorneys can investigate your arrest, collect evidence, and build an effective defense strategy to either get your charges reduced or your case dismissed altogether. Do not hesitate to get the experienced legal help necessary to get your life back on track.
Contact us and request a free consultation.