Skip to Content
Free Consultation

Do I Need to Call the Police After a Car Accident in CO?

Call the Police after an accident

If you are involved in a car accident in Colorado, one of the most important steps you need to take is contacting the police. However, it is not uncommon for the other driver to try to convince you to not let the authorities get involved, especially if the collision is relatively minor. 

But according to Colorado law, drivers must call the police to the scene of a crash when at least one of the following circumstances exist:  

  • A person suffers an injury or dies 

  • A driver appears to be intoxicated 

  • A driver flees the scene (i.e., a hit-and-run accident) 

  • Public property is damaged 

Although you do not have to call the police for other types of crashes, you still are required to report the accident. A simple way to make a report is through Colorado’s Online Crash Reporting System. 

Failure to file an accident report in Colorado is a Class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense, punishable by a maximum jail sentence of 90 days and fines of up to $300. Failure to file a report involving an injured driver is a Class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense, which carries a jail term of up to 12 months and a maximum fine of $1,000. 

Failure to file a report involving a serious injury is a Class 4 felony, punishable by imprisonment for up to six years. Failure to file a report involving a death is a Class 3 felony, which carries a maximum prison term of 12 years. 

If a police officer responds to a car accident, he/she may not file a report if no one is hurt and/or the property damage does not appear to be worth more than $1,000. Yet, if any driver requests a police report or one of the parties cannot show proof of insurance, the officer must create a report. 

If you file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver, the police report can be used as valuable evidence to support your claim. If the at-fault driver attempts to like about their liability in a crash, if those statements were not made in the police report, a jury may not find their testimony credible. 

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Denver, contact Orr Law Firm today at (303) 747-4247 and schedule a free consultation. Get award-winning and experienced legal representation today!